Saturday, November 06, 2004

it's probably good for you to 'almost die'

My roommate just got back from a day of surfing near Camel rock. He mentioned that he'd had an encounter with imminent death during his outing. I'd imagine that puts things into perspective a bit. Speaking of encounters with imminent death: I've never admitted to being a smoker. I mean, I'll smoke occasionally, yes. Maybe sometimes even more than 'occasionally,' but I've never been "addicted" to cigarettes. I really haven't. I'm just immune to nicotene addiction, I guess. In college, my professors often say that I need to elaborate more in my essays and papers. They say that I get the main point clearer than most of my classmates, but they feel short-changed somehow. I usually just feel like the fewer words used; the better. I mean, I don't want to bore people or hold them beyond what they desire. Or maybe I do, but it's a sublimated desire. Maybe it's the whole "aloof" control drama thing. My friend Heather calls it 'pith.'