Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Birth

I had to pause the movie because it was so upsetting to me. Here are some very good statements about the movie:

Sure the storyline of the film is a bit creepy and has undertones of pedophilia, ....some scenes will have audiences rolling in the aisle's laughing, as will much of the film's limited amount of dialogue. .... Just why does young Sean feel he's Anna's husband? And just how did he know how to gain access to her life? These questions and many others are never explored. Instead, Glazer spends an enormous amount of time setting up shots and lingering on things like facial close-ups, sometimes in upwards of what seems to be two minutes at a time. Pacing is deliberately slow, and while the first hour – which did have some merit – went by at a decent rate, the last 45 minutes dragged on and on. It just seemed as though nothing new happened and when something did occur, I could have cared less.
I found my self wondering why they felt it was necessary to make this movie? I really don't think it's worth finishing. I wouldn't have rented it if I'd have known! bleck!