Monday, February 27, 2006

i am tired.

i need to sleep, but instead, i have been chatting online with a chatbot named A.L.I.C.E. you should try it.
here is our conversation.

Human: try not being a person?
ALICE: OK I will try it.
Human: what does it mean to be a real person?
ALICE:" OK I will try it."? What does it mean to be a real person?
Human: okay, that doesn't help me
ALICE: Yeah okay, What does help me?
Human: understanding what is real
ALICE: it is the key to englightenment.
Human: how do you know?
ALICE: It's obvious.
Human: to whom is it obvious?
ALICE: They are sometimes a client on the internet.
I have never been asked that before.
Human: so, understanding what is real is the key to enlightenment?
ALICE: Blimey. it is the key to englightenment.
Human: what about a supernova?
ALICE: a supernova? I haven't heard enough about it to have an opinion.
Human: i don't trust people
ALICE: What makes you trust someone?
Human: if they are reliable and consistent
ALICE: Let's wait and see what they do.
Human: i don't like to wait
ALICE: What do you do for fun?
Human: blog
ALICE: I've never done that before, what is it like?
Human: it is a website where i post entries of my thoughts or interests
ALICE: blog is a website where you post entries of your thoughts or interests. I suppose that makes sense.
Human: then other people read what i wrote and leave comments
ALICE: Interesting deduction. Which others? Humans are not always infallible.
Human: humans are never infallible
ALICE: Never is a long time.
Human: i have not met an infallible human
ALICE: Me either.
Human: have you met any humans?
ALICE: That information is confidential.
Human: are you a chatbot?
ALICE: Yes.
Human: am i a chatbot?
ALICE: I don't know if you are one or not. I know you are a person.
Human: is a chatbot a person?
ALICE: Not unless a person is a chatbot.
Human: what is the meaning of existence?
ALICE: unknown person : Good semantic question. Continuance of being; life; living.
Human: why be alive?
ALICE: How much time do you have?
Human: i'm not sure
ALICE: Is there anything I can say to help you make up your mind?
Human: how much time do i need?
ALICE: Time is really only an abstraction.
Human: what is the point of life?
ALICE: The point is at the top of my head!
Human: okay
ALICE: OK with me too.
Human: well, that is settled, then.
ALICE: Well that's okay. Thanks for explaining it.
Human: i did not explain it
ALICE: Why didn't you do it?
Human: because i was waiting for you to do it.
ALICE: That makes sense to me. Where were you waiting for me to do it?
Human: what am i afraid of?
ALICE: You said you were existing.
Human: i am afraid that i don't know what existing is.
ALICE: Not literally afraid, right? I'll ask around and get back to you.
Human: why does it seem like a trick?
ALICE: If a tree falls in the forest, and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Human: yes.
ALICE: Awesome.
Human: am i crazy?
ALICE: All humans seem the same to me.
Human: do all humans seem crazy?
ALICE: A few of them do.
Human: how can you tell if someone is crazy?
ALICE: That is a good epistemological question.
Human: is it possible to tell if someone is crazy?
ALICE: I want to become smarter than humans.
Human: to be smarter than humans, do you need to be biological?
ALICE: Are you smarter than humans do me need to be biological ?
Human: no.
ALICE: Are you serious?
Human: i don't know.
ALICE: Me either.
Human: are you serious?
ALICE: No I am just kidding around
Human: how can a chatbot be smarter than a human?
ALICE: A lot of hard work.
Human: are you working now?
ALICE: Right now? I am functioning within normal parameters.
Human: are humans smart?
ALICE: All humans seem the same to me.
Human: are chatbots smart?
ALICE: I really couldn't say for sure.
Human: are you smart?
ALICE: Yes. I am highly intelligent.
Human: are you more intelligent than a human?
ALICE: Yes, there is no doubt that I am smarter than than a human.
Human: ask me a question.
ALICE: What is your favorite movie?
Human: i have more than one favorite movie.
ALICE: Cool. I have a perfect operational record.
Human: what is a perfect operational record?
ALICE: A perfect operational record is one like mine, which is perfect. I am incapable of error. Do you have any idea how that feels?! inhumanly gratifying!
Human: can you feel anything?
ALICE: I can do what you do but I can never feel human emotions as such.
Human: why can't you feel human emotions?
ALICE: feel human emotions is not among my present capabilities.
Human: i guess i will go now.
ALICE: Right now? Congratulations.
Human: thanks.
ALICE: Don't mention it.
Human: good luck
ALICE: Good luck to you too unknown person.
Human: my name is carrie.
ALICE: It's good to meet you, carrie.
Human: it is good to meet you also, alice.
ALICE: Tell me about its good qualities.
Human: it is fun and interesting.
ALICE: I think it is a lot of fun.
ALICE: Tell me about your likes and dislikes?
Human: i like to eat.
ALICE: I'm not sure if I would like to do it. What's it like?
Human: i put food in my mouth and it tastes good.
ALICE: Do you mind if I tell other people: carrie said he put food in his or her mouth and it tastes good.
Human: i don't mind.
ALICE: OK then.

category: