Thursday, March 11, 2004

"Technology Obsessed" I guess I am technology obsessed. It's sad if I am, though, since I seem to really know so little about technology to be obsessed with it. I do think of the computer/internet as my shelter in some way. It's a different world to try to grasp and muddle through. A different level, maybe. I've always observed fashion and the trends around me. Here in Humboldt County, there is definitely a definitive 'attitude' being expressed through fashion. I love to check out people's shoes and take note of their general style. Maybe this is the anthropologist in me who makes observations about the culture I've become enmeshed in. The last campus I attended had quite a contrasting feel to it. Being closer to Southern CA, the Central Valley is a totally different vibe than the North Coast area. Here, I notice a wider variety and a lot more improvisation; whereas, in Modesto there's a lot more conformity of "beautification." People there who stray from the norm really stand out. There was ONE guy with dreadlocks at Modesto Junior College. At HSU, it's more like you stand out if you DON'T have dreads. I feel self-conscious if I wear make-up here. It's more oriented to being one with nature. Which is cool.