Monday, July 18, 2005

camping is fun

i'm feeling grouchy. is that okay with you? am i allowed to feel grouchy? can i express my feelings? do i have to do it in a certain way? it seems like my blog has become a center of hostile and petty criticism. it comes from me and it comes at me. anyway, this weekend's camping trip was an adventure, to be sure. the first night was spent on an area of the Lost Coast. the wind whipped-up the sand, which stung my legs while i walked on the beach. it howled in my ears and blew my hair into my eyes and mouth. i covered my head with a hood and took pictures of the seagulls and the waves. the noise of the tentflaps crackling in the wind kept me half awake half of the night. the flames of the fire danced frenetically providing engaging entertainment but little warmth. the next campsite was hotter than a hoochie's whatchee. (my grandma always says that) shade was the only livable spot. that or the water, which really wasn't too cold. the river's soul-soothing sound slowly silenced the ways of the world from my weary mind. enabling me to effortlessly catch up on all the reading for my philosophy class. only two things bothered me. most of the other people camping were very inconsiderate or had poor camping etiquette. one 40-ish woman was lying naked on a rock in the middle of the river not 100 feet down from where a family of children were preparing to play in the water. later, while watching the fire beneath the sweet mask of the night sky, a drunken man walks intentionally and directly into our campsite and takes a seat at our picnic table to enjoy the fire with us. he asked how we were and i said, "well, this is the first time we've camped here and i like the location, but there are too many people for my taste." he said he comes here for the people, but he could see that we come to get away from people and he told me he respected my honesty, shook my hand, and went on to the next campsite. later, i thought, it was nothing against him. it was just impolite for him to be so invasive.