Thursday, July 21, 2005

love her and she'll bring you luck

from 1995-2002 i worked in banking. when i first started, i thought it was fantastic. soon, however, i realized that a teller's job is actually a retail position. a sales position. i just wanted to count money. i loved to count money. i was good at it. i was good at performing the functions of a teller in every way, except for selling. in early 2002, i lost my father to alcoholism and my whole life completely changed. i could no longer tolerate selling my soul just to pay the bills. i would rather be homeless. i just could not do it, anymore. i couldn't put up with all the crap. what was the benefit? the only entity that benefited was corporate Amerikuh. i thought to myself, seven years of my life down the drain and what do i have to show for it? at least if i spent that length of time in college, i'd have something substantial to show for it. i could say, "look: see? this is what i did" but after seven years of banking-- it's like i may as well have done nothing at all. sure, i learned a few things about corporate life. i worked with some great people (and some not-so-great). but, in the end, it's a thankless job. so, now, i'm in school. i'll have my degree in December. i'll be an anthropologist. and the government paid me to do it. that tops all.